Valerie Thomas: Why she kicks ass
- She is a scientist and inventor, who invented the illusion transmitter for which she received a patent in 1980. (This is an invention that NASA continues to use to this day.)
- She went to an all-girls school where she did not receive any training in the sciences. Implicit stereotypes contributed to this, as the girls school did not teach the students about math or science, so she had to educate herself about those subjects. She later attended Morgan State University, and was one of two women in majoring in physics.
- She worked at NASA, first as a data analyst and then moving on to oversee the creation of the Landsat program, then as project manager for the Space Physics Analysis Network and was associate chief for NASA’s Space Science Data Operations Office. She also participated in projects related to Halley’s Comet, ozone research, and the Voyager spacecraft.
- She retired in August 1995 as Space Science Data Operations Officer, serving as manager of the NASA Automated Systems Incident Response Capability and serving as chair of the SSDOO Education Committee.
- She is currently an associate at the UMBC Center for Multicore Hybrid Productivity Research, and also serves as a mentor for youth through the Science Mathematics Aerospace Research and Technology and National Technical Association.
Bahamian-living-in-Miami Fashion Blogger and Stylist La’Vonne Alexis released some behind-the-scenes footage of her branding photo shoot, “Alexis Flora,” shot in the Bahamas!
They hanged him on a clement morning, swung
between the falling sunlight and the women’s
breathing, like a black apostrophe to pain.
All morning while the children hushed
their hopscotch joy and the cane kept growing
he hung there sweet and low.
At least that’s how
they tell it. It was long ago
and what can we recall of a dead slave or two
except that when we punctuate our island tale
they swing like sighs across the brutal
sentences, and anger pauses
till they pass away.
Jamaica-1 two-man bobsleigh steered by Winston Watts races in the Bobsleigh Two-man Heat 1 at the Sanki Sliding Center in Rosa Khutor during the Sochi Winter Olympics
Caribbean festivals are festivals of the street, and taking over the street is an important element because before as the enslaved, Caribbean people were not allowed to take to the street without passes based on Slavery pass laws
Carnival Tuesday in Trinidad
Black family :)
Page 1 of 111